Saturday, February 23, 2008

Twisted Circular Logic

As I continue on my way to developing Mad Knittin' Skillz, the next item I wanted to tackle was knitting with circular needles. I had already tried my hand at the DPN's (double pointed needles) with the great sock fiasco, and actually liked knitting with them - not so crazy about the sock making situation, but I haven't given up on that just yet. Knitting with 4 to 5 needles at once was definitely fumbly and awkward, but after a few rounds, my knitting became quicker and smoother. Before I knew it, knitting with a handful of needles at once felt almost natural.



Once I became more comfortable with the DPN's, I figured "Hey, circulars can't be all that hard. After all, there's only one of them!". So, off I went, over-confident and clueless. I grabbed some 16" circ's, an "easy" pattern and some yarn, and cast on 144 stitches. I was very very careful not to twist the stitches. Everything I have ever read about knitting with circs states over and over "Careful not to twist the stitches!", so I was extra careful - kind of.

Attempt Number 1: Stitches cast on (did I mention there were 144 of them?) - check! Make sure all stitches are facing the same way - check! Place marker and join the round - check! I was off and running until..........I was knitting with the tail of my cast on!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!! Frog Number 1.

Attempt Number 2: Stitches cast on (another 144 stitches!) - check! Wrap tail end of yarn in bobbin (see how the monkey learns?) - check! Place marker and join the round - check! Begin knitting........umm, I think I forgot something- stitches are completely twisted and crooked. Frog Number 2.

After stepping away for a few minutes - Attempt Number 3: CAST ON 144 STITCHES!!! - check! Make sure no stitch twisting has occurred - check! Wrap tail end of yarn on bobbin - check! Make sure no stitch twisting has occurred - check! Place marker and join the round - check! Make sure no stitch twisting has occurred - check! Begin knitting (making sure no twist stitching occurs) - check!
Hooray - success! Not so bad once you get the hang of it - yay for the teachable monkey!!!