Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cable-Ready

I love sweaters! I always have. I love cardigans, turtlenecks, sweater-vests, hoodies. You name the sweater type, and I'm all over it. My very favorite, though, has always been "cabley" type sweaters. All sorts of twisty turny patterns that look so complicated, and really make a sweater stand out.
So, with that in mind, I decided that my new January knitting thing would be learning how to knit cables. I went to the library and checked out "Cables Untangled" by Melissa Leapman (one of my totally fave designers), and after reading the pattern directions over and over, realized that cables are really quite simple - just basically knitting out of order (which I sometimes do by accident anyways).
After a few minutes, I was off and running with my new found skill, and I must say, these lovely "beginner" cables really look quite fancy and complicated, which, of course, makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. Yay to that!


A few rows into my new cabled item, and I realized I was really fighting against the cable needle I had. It was so thin, and fiddly (not to mention slippery due to it being a metal needle). My stitches kept threatening to fall of the dang thing, or were getting pulled too tightly. It was making my cable knitting experience a B- at best.

Oh darn - a reason to hit the yarn store (hee-hee). I found a fabulous set of hardwood cable needles at my LYS, and am so much happier!! Hooray - now I completely love knitting cables - a total A++ experience.


Old Fiddly Cable Needle: BOOO!!


New Rock Star Cable Needle: Hip-hip-hooray!!




And the set had 3 different sizes to boot!! Can't beat that with a US7 stick!