Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bzzzzzz

In an effort to challenge myself and learn some new knitting skillz, I decided to join the "Slow Bee Mystery Knit-a-long". This will be my very first time knitting lace, or knitting with beads. I love that it's a slow bee KAL, since, as I've mentioned a time or two, I'm a very slow knitter!! I've also never knit with such a fine gauge of yarn before, but so far, I'm really enjoying it.
I'm only just finishing up my gauge swatch, and the KAL started about 3 weeks ago (people are already finished up with clue 3), but slow and steady - that's me!

So, for my non-knitting readers - the KAL (knit-a-long) works like this: Every week we get a new clue which is basically just a piece of the final pattern of whatever we're supposed to be knitting. In this case, a lace shawl. So, you work on your clue, then get the next one, knit that up, and on and on till the KAL is done. You're not really sure what you're going to end up with, which is part of the fun - just seeing how the pattern works itself out.

Since I've been so slow in getting going, however, I've been able to spy on other people's progress, so I have a pretty good idea of how my project should turn out (fingers crossed)!

The yarn I selected is so delicious, I can't keep from petting the yummy little yarn cakes whenever I walk by my knitting basket.




I ordered it from Knit Picks. It's Gloss lace weight yarn, which is 70% merino wool and 30% silk. It's color is called Aegean, and looks like a freezing Arctic ocean. (My photos make it look a little more green than the actual color)





I couldn't decide on my beads, so I ended up making a couple of trip to Orr's Trading in downtown Denver (BTW - the coolest bead-type place I've been to!!). The first hank of beads I got matched my yarn so perfectly, that you really can't see that they're there. The second hank is just clear beads, which allow the color the yarn to show through, but still give off some sparkle. I'm knitting half of my swatch with the colored beads, the other half with the clear, then I'll decide which to use.



So, I'm off to finish knitting and blocking my gauge swatch, so I can start on clue 1 - good thing there's a Law & Order marathon on today!! Bzzzzz......