Saturday, March 8, 2008

Out n' About

So, I've recently come to the conclusion that, for whatever reason, I need to make some new friends. And not just any old friends, but friends who knit and share my obsession with all things yarn-y. Currently, I don't have any knitting friends (other than those out in cyber space), so when I start to get a little dreamy eyed and drooley when talking about my newest issue of Interweave Knits, my current peeps assume I must have missed some meds that day.

My favorite Denver LYS (The Knitting Habitat) had their monthly Sit-n-Knit last night, so I decided to give it a whirl. I was a tad nervous, and thought I may be shunned for my lack of skillz, or for not knowing the proper way to knit in a group (as if there were a proper way), but I was determined to see other knitters out in the wild.
It was a small group, about 7 or so people - someone brought wine (always a good indication you're in good company), and others brought snacks. I found a spot, and pulled out my simplest project to work on. Before I knew it, 3 hours had gone by! What a fun (and oh so welcoming) group of ladies.
I didn't really pick up any new skillz, but, yes, it has been confirmed - I am a very slow knitter!! I was, however, complimented on my wicked even tension - slow and steady, that's me!!

I'm an English style knitter, but have been wanting to learn Continental style for some time now (I've heard it's faster, and not quite so fiddly). Most of the ladies at the Sit-n-Knit were Continentals, and man o man were their needles flying. It was like a blur of yarn. So, my next new thing I want to tackle is Continental Knitting. Oh, yeah, and to make it to more gatherings of knitting folks!